Edinburgh Business School DBA
While broadly equivalent to a PhD, EBS DBA has a more direct relevancy to the needs of the real business world; it will enable you to use research methods to define, implement and evaluate issues facing your organization.
The DBA is a part-time, distance learning programme and consists of a course stage and a research stage.
1 The Course Stage
Demonstrate the knowledge and expertise required to underpin the subject of your thesis.
Students initially complete three Doctoral Business Research (DBR) courses. Each course requires around 200 hours of study. The self-study courses are presented in an electronic format through the Edinburgh Business School learning website and are supported by a course text that has all the information required to complete the course.
Optional on-campus intensive four-day seminars: £630 per seminar excluding travel or accommodation.
Exam: 3 hour closed book examination in June and December at any of the examination centres around the world that EBS have.
Upon successful completion of the three DBR courses, you will be eligible for a Postgraduate Certificate in Business Research Methods.
2 The Research stage
The research element is completed in three stages and ends in the completion of a thesis and an oral defence of your research. You can research any area of applied business or management provided you have a viable research idea.
The first stage consists of the research proposal, which is completed with guidance from a mentor assigned to you from within EBS. Once your proposal has been approved by the Doctoral Review Committee you will be assigned a supervisor for the duration of your research.
Travel to the UK
The entire programme is designed to be completed by distance-learning. The only requirement for travel to the UK is for the final oral assessment of the doctoral thesis.
Entry on the DBA Programme will require the following in addition to the application form:
- A Master’s degree from a recognised University, equal in standard to one offered by Heriot-Watt University.
- 5 years managerial experience.
- Proficiency in English. If English is not your first language and it has been over two years since you studied in English, we will require either the results of a recent IELTS test (with an overall score of 6.5 with no score lower than 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening), or a letter from your employer stating that English is the main language in your workplace.
- Two references.
- Please note that possession of the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee you will be accepted on to the programme.
An estimate of the fees are as follows:
- £1,000 /course
- £160 /examination
- £630 per course (on-campus) – optional
- Total for this stage: £3,480 (not including on-campus seminars)
This stage is usually completed in 12 months
Research stage: £6,500 per annum
Thesis examination: £500
You should be allowed 3 years to complete this stage
Estimated total fee: £23,480
Please note that this is an estimate of the fees. The actual cost may vary depending on how long you require in the research stage and if you need to re-sit any exams.
This course forms part of the Get Qualified Scheme.
Get 70% back via Tax Credit